I did it! Many miles and months ago I had this crazy idea of running a marathon. I saw a quote once that said "A good goal should scare you a little and excite you a lot." I may have had more than "a little" anxiety leading up to the race, but I did it! I still can't even really believe it. It was an incredible experience and who knows, maybe not even my last.
To summarize, the first ten miles were a party. Beautiful scenery, funny signs, and morale was very high all around! The middle ten miles alternated between a ton of spectators and support around the National mall to no man's land at Hains Point. The last six... ugh. I just wanted it to end. I wanted the spectators to be quiet, stop looking at me, and go away. I just kept telling myself the faster I could make myself go, the sooner it would be over. And then it was! I checked my time and was very pleasantly surprised (4:29:43) because I had turned my watch off around mile 19 when I felt myself losing energy. I didn't really have a time goal since it was my first marathon, but if I secretly did it would have been to come in under 4:30. ;)
The Marines were awesome. They were hands down the best volunteers I've ever encountered on a race course. They were enthusiastic, encouraging, and pretty darn funny at times. The race was very meaningful to me, and I really couldn't be happier about the way it all went. Oorah!
 |
| My pile of gear on Marathon Eve |
 |
| The view from "Charity Hill," above the Iwo Jima Memorial |
 |
| Suzy and I at the Organization for Autism Research tent at 0-dark-thirty |
 |
| Wheelchair and hand cycle start |
 |
| Skydivers |
 |
| The flyover |
 |
| And we're off! |
 |
| Gorgeous view of Georgetown from the GW Parkway |
 |
| While not physically the toughest mile in the race, the Blue Mile/Mile of Remembrance was extremely emotional. |
 |
| After the race, Suzy was the first person I found. I have her to thank for encouraging me to start running once upon a time and for believing that I could do this! She also joined me in running and fundraising for team OAR. I'd be hard pressed to find a better friend than that. |
 |
| In addition to the fabulous medal a Marine put on me at the finish, I also earned an OAR medal. |
 |
| Brady said forget the medals, let me see your bib number (he is VERY interested in numbers). |
 |
| Mom and Steve came in from WV to watch the race. I was able to see my little cheering squad twice, just when I needed a little boost! |
 |
| I ran into one of my running club friends on the Metro, and she took this one. |
 |
| The Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. It's socially acceptable to wear this daily, right? |
No comments:
Post a Comment