Sunday, April 25, 2010

Orlando

Today we moved on to the second leg of our Florida tour, Orlando. This morning we exercised, checked out of the hotel, and went on a search for an elusive doughnut shop. Unfortunately our GPS couldn't get it right, or the place no longer exists. Either way, Pete was a sad little boy. I tried to cheer him up with a quaint family-owned greasy spoon, but I don't think he really ever recovered from the disappointment!

On our way out of Clearwater we stopped at the mall. Our social worker suggested that we bring a little gift to the birthmother, so we decided on a Bath & Body Works gift and some magazines to read while she's in the hospital. While we were there, we also got a couple cute little things for the baby from Gymboree's clearance rack. They have the most adorable clothes, but they sure aren't cheap! I also bought a new shirt and scarf for our meeting tomorrow. Even with all my over-analyzation and over-packing, I felt like I still didn't quite have the right outfit. But now I'm sure to project friendly-motherly-casual-yet-sophisticated confidence! Or something like that...

Next we drove to Orlando. I don't know if it was the change in the weather (storms this evening) or central FL, but it was very humid. It thunder stormed like crazy tonight, so hopefully it won't be quite so oppressive tomorrow.

We relaxed at the hotel for a while this afternoon, then went to Target/Walmart and out to dinner. Fortunately we timed it well- the worst of the storm happened while we ate dinner.

Tonight I'm going to do my best to sleep. Lunch with the birthmother is at 11:30 tomorrow, so please send positive thoughts our way. I'm very, VERY nervous. Thank you for your calls and texts tonight, I appreciate it. I'll update the blog when we get back tomorrow afternoon. Assuming I survive, that is. :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Gayle, I'm nervous for you! BUT I know the birthmother will LOVE you... how could she not! I seriously could tell how cool (and yet could sense a "motherly vibe") from the moment I met you! =) I think your gifts for her are perfect, too. I'll be thinking of you all day tomorrow and can't wait to read the update. Sending lots of positive vibes and xoxoxo!!!!

    P.S. I have some Gymboree stuff for the little guy waiting for your return!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. my word verification word was, kid you not, "mosess"... interesting coincidence, huh?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gayle and Pete,

    You guys look like you are having a good time. Gayle, you look rested :) Betty and T say hi! The beach looks terrific - you had good weather that day.

    Best of luck today, we'll be thinking of you as we eat our lunch too!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete